Anand Kumar's Super30 students get lessons in moral values
- 'For 9 months, you have been sitting over names': SC raps Centre on appointment of judges
- Tata Group said to shortlist candidates for next chairman following ouster of Cyrus Mistry
- PM Modi to visit Japan in November, civil nuclear pact high on agenda
- J&K: After nearly 4 hours, Pakistan resumes mortar shelling in R S Pura sector
- Wanted to hit LeT camps in Pakistan after 26/11 strike: Shivshankar Menon
Considered a nursery for economically backward students to qualify for the prestigious IITs, Super30 is now imparting lessons in moral values.
The institute's founder Anand Kumar is sensitising the students against dowry and display of wealth in social functions.
"During the marriages of former students who are doing well now after passing out from the IITs, I saw display of wealth. That is why I am teaching the students to shun dowry or display of riches in social functions like marriage ... My ambition is to make them good citizens," Kumar said.
The efforts have made their mark.
"I will not take dowry," said Pranab, son of a farmer from Samastipur, who is a student at the institute. His classmate Abhishek from Jharkhand echoed similar views.
Super30 has won many accolades from across the globe for its success. Recently University of Tokyo reached an agreement with it to sponsor two of its students.
Set up to help students from Bihar, the institute has expanded its horizon and has selected students from other states like Punjab and Assam through competitive examinations.
- A letter like Cyrus Mistry’s could deepen the credibility crisis of Indian capitalism
- The transgender rights bill dilutes the private member’s bill passed by Rajya Sabha
- Diverse myths around the festival underpin Hinduism’s openness
- Polygamy and gender justice debate is more complicated than it is made out to be
- By brokering for MNS, Devendra Fadnavis has shown himself as a CM afraid of a bully
- Pak PM would do well to study the past before choosing Raheel Sharif’s successor