Andhra Pradesh rain toll up to 32; 80,000 evacuated
- Parliament LIVE: Jaitley has promised concrete proposals on GST, says Chidambaram
- Kashmir violence -- Omar Abdullah interview: 'It has been building up to this'
- Baton Rouge shootings: Three officers killed, suspect dead
- Grading writers, artistes is new brainwave of Culture Ministry
- Reforms not because of Cong, in spite of it... credit goes to Rao-Singh: Arun Jaitley
Torrential downpour and flash floods claimed 32 lives in Andhra, while 3,230 villages in 16 districts were affected due to the floods. The toll rose from 12 to 32 overnight as seven persons died in a wall collapse in Guntur and six persons escaping the flood in Prakasam district drowned Friday evening.
Nearly 80,000 people have been evacuated from flooded areas in Srikakulam, Guntur, Prakasam, East Godavari, Vizag, Nalgonda, Vizianagaram, Krishna and Nellore districts and accommodated in 207 relief camps put up by the government.
The State Disaster Management Authority said paddy ready to be harvested in over 4 lakh hectares was completely destroyed besides cotton, groundnut, maize, sugarcane and blackgram crops. The Revenue Department said 1,020 minor irrigation projects developed breaches and flooded neighbouring areas, while over 4,000 kms of roads have been totally damaged since Wednesday.
Twelve NDRF battalions have been deployed for rescue and relief, though there has been some respite since Saturday morning as the rain stopped in some parts of Coastal and Rayalaseema. The IMD has warned that heavy rainfall is expected in the next 48 hours.
- Congress opposition to GST does no credit to a party that opened up the economy 25 years ago
- Kashmir poses not just moral but also existential questions involving statecraft
- New FDI policy in food products is unlikely to be a game-changer by itself
- Swathi murder case in Chennai must trigger a move to enact strong witness protection laws
- A new government in Nepal does not hold out any promise of greater stability
- Kashmir is more than land, it is people