Andhra Pradesh rain toll up to 32; 80,000 evacuated
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Torrential downpour and flash floods claimed 32 lives in Andhra, while 3,230 villages in 16 districts were affected due to the floods. The toll rose from 12 to 32 overnight as seven persons died in a wall collapse in Guntur and six persons escaping the flood in Prakasam district drowned Friday evening.
Nearly 80,000 people have been evacuated from flooded areas in Srikakulam, Guntur, Prakasam, East Godavari, Vizag, Nalgonda, Vizianagaram, Krishna and Nellore districts and accommodated in 207 relief camps put up by the government.
The State Disaster Management Authority said paddy ready to be harvested in over 4 lakh hectares was completely destroyed besides cotton, groundnut, maize, sugarcane and blackgram crops. The Revenue Department said 1,020 minor irrigation projects developed breaches and flooded neighbouring areas, while over 4,000 kms of roads have been totally damaged since Wednesday.
Twelve NDRF battalions have been deployed for rescue and relief, though there has been some respite since Saturday morning as the rain stopped in some parts of Coastal and Rayalaseema. The IMD has warned that heavy rainfall is expected in the next 48 hours.
Meanwhile, three persons were killed in heavy rains in south Bengal Saturday and normal life was thrown out of gear in the metropolis and adjacent districts. The weatherman has predicted rains will continue till midday Sunday.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress