Angelo Mathews named Sri Lanka's Test, ODI captain
- Pakistan Rangers delegation arrives in India, DG-level talks on border today
- BJP vs Sena in Mumbai; Uddhav says will ensure there is no ban on meat
- Five-phase Bihar polls from Oct 12, counting on Nov 8
- What are Gold Bond and Gold Monetisation schemes?
- Govt drops plans for special Parliament session on GST bill
Allrounder Angelo Mathews has been appointed Sri Lanka's Test and ODI captain, replacing Mahela Jayawardene, for a period of one year.
The 25-year-old Mathews was Jayawardene's deputy and was the heir apparent to the captaincy since the latter announced that he would be quitting captaincy after Sri Lanka's tour of Australia.
Wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Chandimal will be Mathews' deputy, but will lead the national side in the Twenty20 format.
Lasith Malinga will be the team's vice-captain for T20.
The selectors have also named a 20-member pool of players for the two-match home Test series against Bangladesh, starting next month.
Veteran Thilan Samaraweera, opener opener Tharanga Paranavithana and wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene have been dropped from the squad.
Four uncapped players -- batsmen Kithruwan Vithanage and Ashen Silva, a medium pacer Dushmantha Chameera and off-spinner Tharindu Kaushal -- have been included.