Anger finds a collective voice
- Modi's appeal to the rich: 'Give up subsidised LPG'
- Distrust deepens, AAP countdown begins for easing out Yadav and Prashant Bhushan
- MS Dhoni: Smudged, but colour remains
- Maharashtra: First arrests made under new law banning beef trade
- Ribeiro an icon, I felt sad reading his piece, told the PM: Nitin Gadkari
Apart from the four barriers of police security, North Block and South Block were packed with police personnel. All senior officers of Delhi Police had been asked to report at India Gate.
"During the day, the crowd got violent eight times, forcing us to lathicharge. The problem was that each time the group which got violent was different. A constable and an inspector received severe head injuries. We have registered a case of rioting and damage to public property. We will take action after seeking the video grabs from the photo journalists," a police officer said.
The angry protesters damaged the lights at the Vijay Chowk and carried out a mock hanging on a pole outside the North Block office. "Rapists should be hanged in public, which is what we are demonstrating out here," Akash Mehotra, who had come from Civil Lines, said.
Till late Saturday night, hundreds of protesters were still at Raisina Hill. No violence reported after 8 in the evening.