Anita Verma is Mahila Congress president
- Coal scam: SC stays summons for Ex-PM Manmohan Singh, P C Parakh, K M Birla
- Leave Delhi: That’s what doctors are prescribing to patients with serious respiratory ailments
- Poster girl of India's tobacco battle Sunita Tomar dies
- Re-promulgation of land ordinance with 9 changes gets Cabinet nod
- Panic spreads as more rain forecast for Valley today
Former Chief Parliamentary Secretary and two-time MLA Anita Verma was on Monday appointment as president of All India Mahila Congress ,a key-post earlier also held by former Congress minister and MP Chandresh Kumari .
Anita Verma had lost her Assembly election to Urmila Thakur (BJP) in 2007 from Hamirpur Assembly constituency in the home district of Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
When contacted over phone in her home town, Anita Verma said, "The news of my appointment is a pleasant surprise. I really thank Congress President Sonia Gandhi for giving me an opportunity to take-up such a huge responsibility. I am a person hailing from small state. I grew up in the hills, and also married here only. It's a big thing for me to have been asked to head the All India Mahila Congress and motivate women to play proactive role in the Congress party".
Anita Verma was married to Ramesh Verma, a Congress MLA in Hamirpur. He died at a young age and eventually she filled his shoes at the behast of former PM Rajiv Gandhi.