Anita Verma is Mahila Congress president
- Nitish Kumar's JD(U) recognised as principal opposition party in Bihar, BJP protests
- SC extends Setalvad's interim bail and asks her lawyer Kapil Sibal not to 'act smart'
- Aero India Show: Stunt planes collide in mid-air, pilots safe
- Swine flu deaths soar to 663, number of cases cross 10,000
- Maratha Mandir brings down curtains on Shah Rukh Khan's DDLJ
Former Chief Parliamentary Secretary and two-time MLA Anita Verma was on Monday appointment as president of All India Mahila Congress ,a key-post earlier also held by former Congress minister and MP Chandresh Kumari .
Anita Verma had lost her Assembly election to Urmila Thakur (BJP) in 2007 from Hamirpur Assembly constituency in the home district of Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
When contacted over phone in her home town, Anita Verma said, "The news of my appointment is a pleasant surprise. I really thank Congress President Sonia Gandhi for giving me an opportunity to take-up such a huge responsibility. I am a person hailing from small state. I grew up in the hills, and also married here only. It's a big thing for me to have been asked to head the All India Mahila Congress and motivate women to play proactive role in the Congress party".
Anita Verma was married to Ramesh Verma, a Congress MLA in Hamirpur. He died at a young age and eventually she filled his shoes at the behast of former PM Rajiv Gandhi.