Joyous Anna Hazare thanks Rajya Sabha members for passing Lokpal Bill
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Manmohan Singh didnât put wifeâs name in Rajya Sabha affidavit, says BJP
As soon as Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari announced that the Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill, 2011 was passed in the House, anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare and supporters erupted in joy at his village Ralegan Siddhi.
Anna's supporters expressed their joy by dancing to patriotic numbers, lighting fire crackers and shouting 'Jai Hind'.
Hazare, who has been fasting for last eight days, thanked the Parliamentarians for "listening to the voices of the countrymen".
"Today the Bill has been passed in Rajya Sabha. I thanks the MPs of all the political parties except Samajwadi Party (SP) who supported the Bill. I am confident that the Bill will be passed in Lok Sabha tomorrow," said a visibly jubilant Anna.
"I am glad that the MPs of the political parties finally acknowledged that the people of this country demanded a Bill to fight corruption which has made the lives of common citizens miserable," he said.
He said that as soon as the Bill will be passed in Lok Sabha on Wednesday, he will break his indefinite fast.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit