Anna Hazare congratulates Arvind Kejriwal over poll victory in Delhi
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Veteran anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare congratulated his former prodigy Arvind Kerjiwal for stellar performance of his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi Assembly poll.
"Arvind has created universe out of zero. He took tremendous efforts and earned the faith of the people of Delhi. I congratulate him. This is only a first victory for him. He will go on in future to do the same nationally," Hazare told reporters in his village Ralegan Siddhi.
A fortnight before Delhi went to polling booth, Anna had accused Kejriwal of abusing his name for Delhi polls and collecting money by selling 'Anna SMS Card' without taking his consent. This, along with a sting operation done by a news portal which showed some AAP candidates accepting donation in cash, had put Kejriwal and his candidates on the defensive immediately before the polling.
Anna, today, however seemed full of praise for Kejriwal with whom he had successfully rocked Delhi twice in April 2011 and August 2011 during the Jan Lokpal agitation.
He said that even if AAP seats of the opposition benches, he is sure Kejriwal's party will play a good opposition.
"Arvind has idealism and has a socialist and nationalistic point of view. I am sure that Arvind will rein in the rulers when he occupies the opposition bench," he added.
Hazare himself has announced a fast-unto-death from December 10 to press the government to pass the Lokpal Bill in the winter session.