Another Bengali TV channel shuts shop
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Yet another news-cum-entertainment channel — Channel 10 — blacked out from Tuesday evening in Kolkata.
Channel 10 was being run by Sudipta Sen, chairman and managing director of Saradha Group of Companies. Nearly a dozen newspapers, magazines and news channels belonging to the Group have closed down over the past one month — the latest being Tara Muzik, Tara Newz, South Asia Television, Channel 10. As a result, more than 800 out-of-job journalists and a greater number of non-journalists have been pushed into extreme uncertainty.
Trinamool leader Mukul Roy on Tuesday visited Tara Muzik studio and met the staff who had taken an unprecedented step of airing a day-long Bengali New Year programme on Monday on their own. The anchors, artistes and viewers were in tears over the sudden closure of the channel. Roy also met the Bengal Post employees. He gave monetary help to Tara Muzik to carry on for some days and assured to look for a buyer-financier for the company.
However, Roy said that Sen could not be contacted. Asked if the government was contemplating any action against Sen, he said that "it was not his subject".
- India may want calibrated strategic escalation, but this genie will not be put back in easily
- Swachh Bharat completes 2 years, but eliminating open defecation is a distant goal
- Pak does not know what it has lost, India doesn’t recognise where it is winning
- Nathuram Godse was a product of the political climate created by the Hindu right wing
- Why there are protests against Gandhi’s statue in Ghana University
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP