Another Black Friday for Sabarimala pilgrims
- Vote Supriya or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Dhowan takes over as Navy Chief, superseded Sinha resigns
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- India to pay Russia for arms, ammo it sells to Afghanistan
The mishap at Pulmedu in Vandiperiyar in Kerala's remote Idukki district which claimed 102 lives on Friday, is the third and worst mishap involving the Sabarimala pilgrims on the 'Makara Jyothi' day on Jan 14.
Lakhs of pilgrims converge at the holy shrine to watch the 'Makara Jyothi', a bright flame that flickers three times on a remote hillside fo Ponnambalamedu, every year and the number of devotees keeping growing each pilgrimage season.
On Jan 14, 1952, 66 Ayyappa pilgrims were burnt to death when two cracker sheds caught fire while on the same day in 1999, 52 pilgrims were killed following a stampede while they were returning after witnessing the 'Makarajyothi' at pamba.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer