Another Delhi gangrape accused claims he is juvenile
- Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
The victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
The judge asked reporters, lawyers and other people unconnected to the case to leave the courtroom, observing that this was necessary in view of the sensitivity of the matter and the security of the complainant and the accused. Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan had earlier told the court that the prosecution would have no objection if the court passed orders allowing publication of the "broad outlines" of the proceedings, as long as the provision of in camera proceedings and ban on detailed media coverage were followed.
"Reporting of proceedings by the media, under section 327 (3), is up to the court to decide," Krishnan said.
The court, however, said "it shall not be lawful... to publish or print any matter relating to the proceedings of this case except with the prior permission of the court, till the trial".
The court will now begin hearing arguments on the framing of charges against the five accused on January 24.
Some 200 protesters who had gathered outside the court complex in Saket in the morning were dispersed within minutes by the police. Members of the "global campaign" Avaaz protested from about 10 am to 1.30 pm outside the complex gate, with school and college students holding signs that read "My clothes are not an invitation for rape".
The protesters, including both Indian and foreign volunteers, said they had gathered over 1.1 million signatures on an online petition asking the government to launch a "mass awareness and sex education campaign" to change the mindset of people. The petition, which has over 41,000 signatures from India, was submitted to the J S Verma committee and forwarded to the home ministry, Pascal Vollenwider, a volunteer from Switzerland, said.