Another gangrape accused now claims he is a juvenile
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Manmohan Singh didnât put wifeâs name in Rajya Sabha affidavit, says BJP
As the Delhi gangrape case came up before the special fast track court on Monday, a second accused claimed he was under the age of 18 and asked to be treated as juvenile, his lawyer said.
Vinay Sharma, an assistant gym instructor, has moved an application seeking a bone ossification test, his lawyer A P Singh told reporters outside the fast track court of additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna. Reporters have been barred from covering proceedings of the court.
In earlier proceedings before a magistrate's court, Sharma had refused to undergo a test identification parade and expressed "remorse at the horrible crime". Police have recorded his age as 20.
Singh, who is representing Sharma and another accused Akshay Thakur, said Sharma's earlier statement had been made "under pressure of police", at a time when he had no lawyer. "The boy's mother has said that the school certificate that records his date of birth as being in March 1994 is wrong, and they (the family) had deliberately given an older age to the school so that the boy could be enrolled a year early," Singh said.
He added, "Vinay's actual date of birth is March 1, 1995, which makes him less than 18 years of age. We have now asked the court to conduct a bone density test to check his age."
The five men accused of brutally gangraping a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus on December 16 evening — Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh, Pawan Kumar, Sharma and Thakur — were produced before the fast track court on Monday with their faces covered. The sixth accused, who has claimed to be a minor but who is thought to have been the most violent of the attackers, is facing an inquiry into his age by the Juvenile Justice Board.
The victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit