Another U-turn by Buti Ram: ‘I was threatened not to depose against MLA’
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
In a dramatic turn of events, Buti Ram, the father of Jyoti who was allegedly murdered by MLA Ram Kumar Chaudhary, on Friday claimed that he was threatened with dire consequences and told not to depose against the MLA.
In a written complaint given to the Panchkula Police on Friday, the father claimed that he had received repeated threats from "henchmen" and "relatives" of Chaudhary. He also claimed that he was offered bribes to withdraw from the case.
A fortnight back, Ram was declared hostile by a Panchkula court after he had given a clean chit to Chaudhary, refusing to identify him in an open court.
Acting on Ram's complaint, the Panchkula Police has decided to register an FIR against Chaudhary, his wife and those named by the father in his complaint.
Ram also produced a CD allegedly containing recorded conversation between him and two persons who allegedly threatened him.
"We have decided to register an FIR in the matter and would book Ram Kumar Chaudhary, his wife Nidhi Chaudhary, Rajendra Kumar, Laddu and his wife, and other unidentified persons for threatening a person to give a false statement, voluntarily causing hurt and criminal intimidation under the IPC. We would also provide security to Ram and his family till they get security from the Punjab Police," said Rajbir Deswal, Commissioner (Ambala-Panchkula).
Asked why he did not level these allegations against Chaudhary in the court on December 23, Ram said, "I was afraid. However, I have now realised that I should have spoken the truth in the court. Now I would not retract from my statement again."
Rebutting the allegations levelled against her, Nidhi, wife of Ram Kumar Chaudhary, said, "I have never met Buti Ram in my life. I just saw the news on television. This is all politically motivated and a publicity stunt."
- Does Masood's 'protective custody' reflect Pak army's new policy?
- Are we, the people of India, being used by terror?
- New political generation wants democratic socialism, and also economic security
- The Union budget needs to incentivise savings to rescue public sector banks.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph