Another U-turn by Buti Ram: ‘I was threatened not to depose against MLA’
- Government issues high alert, says Islamic State expanding area of terror
- Putin vows to hunt down those who bombed Russian plane in Egypt
- Mani Shankar Aiyar to Pakistan channel: Remove Modi for talks to resume
- Chittoor Mayor shot dead while trying to save husband
- Hyderabad nursery student dies after head gets stuck in school lift
In a dramatic turn of events, Buti Ram, the father of Jyoti who was allegedly murdered by MLA Ram Kumar Chaudhary, on Friday claimed that he was threatened with dire consequences and told not to depose against the MLA.
In a written complaint given to the Panchkula Police on Friday, the father claimed that he had received repeated threats from "henchmen" and "relatives" of Chaudhary. He also claimed that he was offered bribes to withdraw from the case.
A fortnight back, Ram was declared hostile by a Panchkula court after he had given a clean chit to Chaudhary, refusing to identify him in an open court.
Acting on Ram's complaint, the Panchkula Police has decided to register an FIR against Chaudhary, his wife and those named by the father in his complaint.
Ram also produced a CD allegedly containing recorded conversation between him and two persons who allegedly threatened him.
"We have decided to register an FIR in the matter and would book Ram Kumar Chaudhary, his wife Nidhi Chaudhary, Rajendra Kumar, Laddu and his wife, and other unidentified persons for threatening a person to give a false statement, voluntarily causing hurt and criminal intimidation under the IPC. We would also provide security to Ram and his family till they get security from the Punjab Police," said Rajbir Deswal, Commissioner (Ambala-Panchkula).
Asked why he did not level these allegations against Chaudhary in the court on December 23, Ram said, "I was afraid. However, I have now realised that I should have spoken the truth in the court. Now I would not retract from my statement again."
Rebutting the allegations levelled against her, Nidhi, wife of Ram Kumar Chaudhary, said, "I have never met Buti Ram in my life. I just saw the news on television. This is all politically motivated and a publicity stunt."
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia
- Surrogacy isn’t morally reprehensible, surrogates should be seen as workers
- One world, one battlefield
- With five states polling soon, the great Indian election will continue without recess
- Why Stockholm punches above its weight in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since