Ansal Plaza gets one more chance to pay house tax of Rs 3 cr
The house tax branch of Municipal Corporation on Tuesday went to seal Ansal Plaza for non-payment of house tax amounting to Rs 2.92 crore. The outstanding amount was for more than a year and it was not being paid despite the repeated reminders by the MC authorities.
Additional Commissioner Devinder Singh went along with his team to seal the mall. Since the management gave an undertaking that they would pay the outstanding amount by Friday, they were given another chance.
The argument between the MC team and the mall management continued for more than an hour and finally the team came back. Singh said they would wait till Friday and if no response came, they would go again to seal the mall.
The issue of non-payment of house tax has been raised a number of times in the general house meetings of the MC. Even Commissioner R K Verma and Mayor Harcharan Singh Gohalwaria had indicated that their focus would be on clearing the dues and they would not come under any political pressure.
In Upkar Nagar street number 7, a house was demolished by the MC team which had been built on encroached land. The encroachment was blocking the road and the team took action following a public complaint.
- With 20 per cent web penetration, concerns over net neutrality seem elitist in India
- Raghuram Rajan’s instrumental view isn’t as full a defence of tolerance as we need
- Indian economists working on agriculture is worryingly low
- Centre-state cooperation efforts need to be strengthened
- India-Africa summit opened up space to reinvent an old relationship
- To reform tax policy, government must think about it more clearly