Apex court puts down norms to forbid adjournments of trials under NDPS Act
- If Land Bill has anything against farmers, I'm ready to change it, says PM Modi
- Essar Leaks: ‘Guests are very important people... Kindly see they are comfortable’
- Mufti to head 25-member cabinet; PM to attend his swearing-in on Sunday
- Economic Survey pegs India's growth at over 8 percent, says inflation easing
- Rail budget missed the opportunity to lay out an agenda for the future, writes Nitish
The court's directions came on an appeal by one Thana Singh, who was charged with an offence under the NDPS Act, entailing a maximum jail term of 20 years. He has spent 12 years in jail but the trial was yet to start. His bail requests too were turned down, compelling him to move the apex court. The court has granted him bail.