Apex court upholds mandolin player Srinivasís divorce
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
The Supreme Court has approved renowned mandolin player U Srinivas's divorce with his wife U Sree on the ground that he was treated cruelly by her. Holding that Srinivas has proved his case of mental cruelty for seeking divorce, the SC Bench, however, asked him to pay Rs 50 lakh to ensure his wife lived with dignity and comfort.
"It is established that the husband has proved his case of mental cruelty... we conclude and hold that the respondent husband has rightly been granted a decree of divorce," the Bench said.