Arabul Islam's wife visits jail on Sunday, denied meeting
- Bengal unit of Congress in a fix after it tweets out controversial Rajiv quote
- Thank You, PV Sindhu
- Those who consider India their country should treat cow as mother: Jharkhand CM
- India should be a lot bolder in meeting military needs of Afghanistan: Hamid Karzai
- Army seizes weapons after encounter on Myanmar border
Citing legal hurdles, jail authorities on Sunday denied permission to wife of Arabul Islam , the Trinamool Congress strongman from Bhangor in South 24-Parganas district, to meet him. Arabul is at present lodged in Alipore jail on charges of rioting and arson. His wife came to meet him in the afternoon but was not denied permission.
Superintendent of Alipore jail Chittranjan Garai told The Indian Express," How can we break our rule for one person? According to the jail manual, visitors can only visit and speak with the inmates from Monday to Saturday."
Senior officials of the jail administration said that in the list prepared by jail authorities for visitors to meet the inmates, Arabul's relatives are supposed to come on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Arabul was discharged from SSKM Hospital on Friday and sent to 14 days in jail custody by a local court. His bail plea was also rejected.
- PM's Balochistan policy: Gameplan, gambit or gamble?
- Lessons to learn from Rio Olympics
- Reminiscing after 70: What were the best decades of independent India?
- Inside Track: No party spirit
- There are systemic flaws and vulnerabilities. But India is on the right path
- Wrestlers lose face, and perhaps an Olympic medal, and NADA its credibility