Arabul Islam's wife visits jail on Sunday, denied meeting
- The gongs of Behmai: 35 years on, will justice be served?
- Mann Ki Baat: Start-up India to crop insurance, here's all that Modi said
- J-K crisis: Mehbooba to chair PDP meet, discuss govt formation
- MCD strike: Kejriwal supports demands of protesting employees
- Fifth Column: Hope PM Modi has realised that India is not Gujarat
Citing legal hurdles, jail authorities on Sunday denied permission to wife of Arabul Islam , the Trinamool Congress strongman from Bhangor in South 24-Parganas district, to meet him. Arabul is at present lodged in Alipore jail on charges of rioting and arson. His wife came to meet him in the afternoon but was not denied permission.
Superintendent of Alipore jail Chittranjan Garai told The Indian Express," How can we break our rule for one person? According to the jail manual, visitors can only visit and speak with the inmates from Monday to Saturday."
Senior officials of the jail administration said that in the list prepared by jail authorities for visitors to meet the inmates, Arabul's relatives are supposed to come on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Arabul was discharged from SSKM Hospital on Friday and sent to 14 days in jail custody by a local court. His bail plea was also rejected.
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis
- Bureaucrats are an obstacle in path of ‘parivartan’, ‘vikas’
- Out of my mind: Netaji will always remain a promise never fulfilled
- Reverse Swing: A Manifesto for Middle-Eastern Migrants in Europe
- Equality before law must be accompanied by equality in social practices
- Indian policymakers underestimate problems emanating from emerging economies