Arabul Islam's wife visits jail on Sunday, denied meeting
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Citing legal hurdles, jail authorities on Sunday denied permission to wife of Arabul Islam , the Trinamool Congress strongman from Bhangor in South 24-Parganas district, to meet him. Arabul is at present lodged in Alipore jail on charges of rioting and arson. His wife came to meet him in the afternoon but was not denied permission.
Superintendent of Alipore jail Chittranjan Garai told The Indian Express," How can we break our rule for one person? According to the jail manual, visitors can only visit and speak with the inmates from Monday to Saturday."
Senior officials of the jail administration said that in the list prepared by jail authorities for visitors to meet the inmates, Arabul's relatives are supposed to come on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Arabul was discharged from SSKM Hospital on Friday and sent to 14 days in jail custody by a local court. His bail plea was also rejected.
Arabul was arrested for allegedly assaulting CPM MLA Abdur Rezzak Mollah.