Are black holes portals to other universes?
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Scientists have proposed a new theory that suggests black holes may actually be the portals to other universes.
Physicists Rodolfo Gambini of University of the Republic in Montevideo, Uruguay, and Jorge Pullin of Louisiana State University have applied the theory of Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) to a simplified black hole.
In so doing, they suggested that instead of a singularity existing at its center, there is a portal to another universe.
For many years theoretical physicists have believed that the universe came about as a result of a single Big Bang event. Einstein's theories suggested it was so.
However, the theory of general relativity can't describe what came before the singularity, which should exist at the point in time just before the Big Bang.
Theory also suggests that a similar singularity should exist at the centre of black holes, but general relativity fails to describe them properly, phys.org reported.
There is also the problem of the information loss paradox if something falls into a black hole and is eventually squeezed to a singularity, what happens to the information it contained? Big Bang physicists are unable to explain it.
To address these problems, Abhay Ashtekar and his team at Pennsylvania State University, back in 2006, came up with a theory known as loop quantum gravity.
They suggested that instead of a singularity existing just before the Big Bang, there was the remains of a crunched down universe that had existed prior to the one that exists now.
The universe didn't just Big Bang itself into existence from nothing, they said, instead there is an infinite loop where a universe shrinks down to a very tiny spot, then explodes in a Big Bang, then shrinks down again, over and over again forever hence the use of the term "loop" in the theory.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express