Army Major killed in encounter with LeT
- Supreme Court curtails BCCI's financial powers, independent auditor to scrutinise accounts
- Bhubaneswar hospital fire: More patients succumb to injuries, death toll reaches 24
- Embraer aircraft deal: CBI names defence agent Vipin Khanna as key beneficiary in payoffs FIR
- Scrap English requirement, references that insult India: RSS edu wing to HRD
- US: 500 million pages of sensitive govt record stolen by ex-NSA contractor
A cordon and search operation was launched in the forest belt of Beri Rakh in Poonch district where an army Major was killed and six other securitymen, including a Colonel, were injured in an encounter with suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorists.
"The operation to track down the militants is going on. Massive cordon has been laid around the forest belt of Beri Rakh in Mendhar border belt of Poonch district and searches are on since this morning," a senior army official said.
Troops of 37 Rashtriya Rifles are engaged in the operation, he said.
Major Amit Phunge was killed in the encounter with the militants last night, while Colonel Ajay Katoch of 47 Rashtriya Rifles injured when the terrorists resorted to heavy fire and lobbed grenades.
The army team had gone to the spot following information that about 15 Pakistan-based terrorists had sneaked in.
- Khurram Parvez jailing appears unjust, against govt’s self-interest in troubled Kashmir
- Under PM Modi, new synergy between India’s economic & foreign policy
- Climate justice must be ingrained in rules of new climate compacts
- Despite his outrageous views, Donald Trump represents hope to many Americans
- One advantage of redefining military action as surgery is that it mobilises rhetoric of health
- SC stand on triple talaq remains to be seen