Army short of over 32,000 soldiers: Antony to House
- Rahul ordinance shortcut cut short
- Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Next govt won't be formed without AAP support: Arvind Kejriwal
- Lok Sabha polls likely to commence in seven phases from April 2nd week
- China blames Islamic militants for attack by knife-wielding 'terrorists'
In what is being seen as a first in recent times, the Defence Ministry has said that the Army is short of over 32,000 soldiers even as the gap in officer strength has fallen over the past two years. In the past, the MoD has always held that there are no significant shortages in the Personnel Below Officer Ranks category but has always expressed concern on officer shortages.
Defence Minster A K Antony informed Parliament on Monday that the shortage of soldiers in the Army stood at 32,431 as of September 2011. This massive shortage is on account of the raising of two new divisions by the Army that are positioned in the Eastern sector. The new divisions, one each under the command of the 3 Corps and 4 Corps, required an enhancement of the Army's personnel strength by 36,000.
As the Army has pulled together resources from its current holdings and formations to set up the new infantry divisions, this has reflected in a significant shortage in its authorised personnel strength, particularly in PBORs that form the bulk of the fighting force.
The Army is now likely to see an acceleration in the recruitment of soldiers and creation of new units, even though the gap will take some time to fill, given the constrains of training facilities as well as institutions.
The new raisings by the Army — cleared in 2009 — are a first in decades and are geared towards increasing its hold over the Northeast and the border with China. The two divisions will be augmented in the coming years with a new mountain strike corps that the Army has been demanding. The proposal is currently stuck as the government has asked for the opinion of the three services before giving it financial clearance.
- Unguarded and unkempt, vacant govt houses cry for attention
- Won’t become a politician, will carry forward husband legacy: Savita Bhatti
- Cong screening panel okays Bansal’s name for LS ticket
- Vigilance complaints pile up as Delhi Police doesn’t know password
- PM heads for Myanmar today in his last likely official trip abroad
- SP, BSP, Cong looting country: Rajnath
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha 2014 Candidates – Full list
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today