Six Army men face court martial in 2010 Machchil fake encounter case
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
The Army on Wednesday decided to initiate court martial proceedings against six of its men, including two officers, for their alleged role in the 2010 Machchil fake encounter killing of three young men that triggered two months of unrest in Kashmir valley.
Officials said the Army's decision came on the basis of the report of summary of evidence that was recorded. Earlier, the army had completed a court of inquiry headed by commander of 68 Mountain Brigade Brigadier G S Sangah.
"The case against the accused Army men is very tight. They will have to face the consequences as police have produced strong evidence against them," said a prosecutor. He said since the Commanding Officer of the unit is also an accused, the court martial proceedings will be headed either by an officer of the rank of Brigadier or Major General.
On April 29, 2010, two counter insurgents along with Territorial Army personnel allegedly lured the three men — Shezad Ahmad, Riyaz Ahmad and Mohammad Shafi — from Nadihal village of Baramulla district to Kalaroos on the LoC with the promise of job and money. The three were killed by troopers of 4 Rajputana Rifles near the Sona Pindi post and dubbed as infiltrators. A month later, the bodies were exhumed, and they were found to be civilians.
The government constituted a high-level inquiry commission to probe the killings but the report was never made public. The killings sparked unrest in the valley in which 123 people were killed.
Police had filed a chargesheet against a Colonel, two Majors, five soldiers and three civilians. The Army personnel against whom chargesheet was filed were Col D K Pathania of the 4 Rajput Rifles, Maj Opendra Singh, Maj Maurya, Subedar Satbir, Hawaldar Bir Singh, Sepoys Chadra Bhan, Nagendra Singh and Narendra Singh and Abbas Hussain Shah of Territorial Army.
- School kids ‘adopt’ spotted deer at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Jain trust gets HC caveat to ordain minor as sadhu
- Time to help Zaheer make the decision: Prasad
- BMC in a ‘tearing’ hurry as poll code kicks in
- Two men shot at in Tilak Nagar, different versions puzzle police
- Shami makes most of lively wicket
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express