Army to record evidence against TA man in custody
- Former Maharashtra home minister RR Patil passes away at 58
- HC to Manjhi govt: Don't take decisions having financial implications
- Kiran Bedi writes an open letter, says 'relieved my parents were not alive to see this'
- 'Fever gone', Kejriwal's top five priorities as he takes charge of Delhi
- It would be 'Bhaag BJP Bhaag' in 2016, says TMC after bypoll win
A day after it got custody of Abas Hussein Shah, a Territorial Army man arrested for the Machhil fake encounter, the army Thursday said it would soon record Summary of Evidence against him and his fellow accused.
Besides Shah, the Jammu and Kashmir Police had chargesheeted an army colonel, two majors, five soldiers and three civilians for the cold-blooded murder of three young men from Nadihal village in north Kashmir. Shehzad Ahmad, Riyaz Ahmad and Mohammad Shafi were lured by Shah and two counter-insurgents working for the security forces to Machhil, Kalaroos, near the Line of Control with the promise of money and jobs. There, according to the chargesheet, they were killed in a staged encounter by soldiers of 4 Rajputana Rifles and presented as foreign infiltrators.
"The custody of Abas Hussein Shah has been handed over to the army by the court. All the accused army personnel will now undergo through Summary of Evidence," Karnail Singh Wazir, the defence ministry's counsel in the case, said.