Arrest of Jaipur Litfest producer stayed by HC
Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) organisers on Tuesday got interim relief from the Rajasthan High Court which stayed the arrest of the event producer Sanjoy Roy in connection with author Ashis Nandy's controversial remarks regarding Dalits.
As per the court's directive, the police will have to serve a notice seven days in advance before the arrest of Roy in the case.
The court also stayed the orders of the Jaipur police directing Roy and executive producer Sheuli Sethi to not leave the city till investigation in the case is over. However, it directed them to cooperate with the police in the investigation.
The petition was filed on Monday in the Jaipur Bench of the High Court seeking quashing of the FIR which was lodged last week by a local activist in connection with remarks of sociologist Ashis Nandy against ST, SC and OBC communities. Roy along with Nandy is named in the FIR. "We got the relief and may leave Jaipur but will keep cooperating with the police in the course of investigation," said Roy.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players