Arrested MLA getting 5-star treatment: Anna
- LIVE: Western Railway resumes services, but Mumbai braces for more rain tomorrow
- Lalit Modi Row: BJP rejects demand for resignation of Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Hooch liquor tragedy: Death toll rises to 41; eight policemen suspended
- J&K govt prevents Sopore Chalo march, top separatists detained
- Petition against Tendulkar's Bharat Ratna admitted by Madhya Pradesh HC
Anna Hazare has alleged MLA Suresh Jain, arrested in connection with the Jalgaon Housing scam, is getting "five-star" treatment.
Close aide advocate Shyam Asawa said Friday the anti-corruption crusader wrote to additional commissioner of police Meeran Borwankar regarding this before leaving for Odisha on a tour Wednesday.
Hazare said Jain was denied bail by the high court. He said after arrest on March 12, 2012, the MLA was spending most time in hospitals, not prison.
Jain was brought to Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai on November 3, but soon after was admitted to Saint George Hospital where he is getting five-star treatment.
Hazare said some jail authorities were ensuring comfort for Jain and demanded an inquiry.
Asawa said Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan, of which he is a trustee, would seek legal action against the special treatment to the accused.
Jain, a minister for housing during the Shiv Sena-BJP rule in the 1990s, was arrested for allegedly favouring a builder and for irregularities to the tune of Rs 29 crore.
Hazare said he had written to then CM, minister and officials concerned in 2003 and 2004, seeking action against Jain for financial irregularities. "However, no action was taken. This shows the government was backing Jain."