Arrested MLA getting 5-star treatment: Anna
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Anna Hazare has alleged MLA Suresh Jain, arrested in connection with the Jalgaon Housing scam, is getting "five-star" treatment.
Close aide advocate Shyam Asawa said Friday the anti-corruption crusader wrote to additional commissioner of police Meeran Borwankar regarding this before leaving for Odisha on a tour Wednesday.
Hazare said Jain was denied bail by the high court. He said after arrest on March 12, 2012, the MLA was spending most time in hospitals, not prison.
Jain was brought to Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai on November 3, but soon after was admitted to Saint George Hospital where he is getting five-star treatment.
Hazare said some jail authorities were ensuring comfort for Jain and demanded an inquiry.
Asawa said Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan, of which he is a trustee, would seek legal action against the special treatment to the accused.
Jain, a minister for housing during the Shiv Sena-BJP rule in the 1990s, was arrested for allegedly favouring a builder and for irregularities to the tune of Rs 29 crore.
Hazare said he had written to then CM, minister and officials concerned in 2003 and 2004, seeking action against Jain for financial irregularities. "However, no action was taken. This shows the government was backing Jain."