Arson bid at shrine sparks J&K protests
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Protests erupted in parts of south Kashmir's Anantnag town over an alleged attempt by miscreants to set a Sufi shrine on fire.
Locals said unidentified people had tried to set the shrine of Sufi Hazrat Hardi Baba Reshi on fire at Dabrana village Thursday night. They said that when people entered the shrine on Friday morning they found that the shrine was partly gutted from inside.
The villagers demanded a probe. This is not the first time an attempt has been made to set a shrine on fire. In June, a shrine housing the relics of saint Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani mysteriously caught fire, leading to protests across Valley.