Arvind Kejriwal top news maker followed by Gujarat CM Narendra Modi: Yahoo!
- If Narendra Modi wins over 125 seats in Gujarat Assembly elections, will that pave way to prime ministership?
- Has Irfan Pathan, Narendra Modi Gujarat Assembly elections 'hug' ended the schism that existed between the BJP and minority community?
- Gujarat vote may be first step to Modi vs Gandhi face-off
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Arvind Kejriwal topped the list of newsmakers, while adult film star Sunny Leone was the most searched celebrity online in 2012 in India, a report by search giant Yahoo! today said.
According to Yahoo! India;s Year in Review 2012 (YIR), Arvind Kejriwal was the most searched newsmaker this year, knocking off mentor Anna Hazare from the position.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was next in line, followed by Malala Yousafzai (an education activist from Pakistan), Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Robert Vadra.
"YIR combines search trends with the editorial selection of what users read, recommended and shared most on the Yahoo! network in India during 2012. It offers a glimpse into the social trends, compelling newsmakers and top stories of 2012," Yahoo! said in a statement.
It is clear while looking at the top trends that scams and controversies, with a large dose of Bollywood gossip, captured the attention of the user in 2012, it added.
Indo-Canadian adult movie star Sunny Leone became the most searched celebrity online during 2012, ahead of many of Bollywood's leading ladies, thanks to her controversial entry into Bollywood with Big Boss 5 and Jism 2.
However, in terms of celebrities making news, it was Aishwarya Rai's post pregnancy weight gain that put her ahead of Leone in the 'Celebrity in the News' list for 2012. Others in the list included Poonam Pandey, 'Saifeena' (Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor) and Sherlyn Chopra.
The Indian 'Brangelina' – Saifeena – were also the most sought after celebrity couple in 2012 as netizens searched on the latest information on where the couple would get married, their trousseau and the guest list.
Superstar Amitabh Bachchan and Sonam Kapoor topped the list of 'Best Dressed Celebrities', while queen of small screen Ekta Kapoor topped this year's 'Worst Dressed' list, with Mallika Sherawat tailing her at a close second.