As BJP disrupts LS over Afzal Guru hanging, anguished Speaker reminds them of 13 people's supreme sacrifice
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- India does not need a govt that makes Hindus fight Muslims: Rahul
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Pt Channulal Mishra backs Modi but Bismillah's family won't
Lok Sabha today witnessed repeated uproar on the demand for immediate hanging of Afzal Guru, with an anguished Speaker Meira Kumar expressing anguish over disruptions saying 13 people did not lay down their lives for this during the attack on Parliament 11 years back.
Soon after the House paid homage to martyrs of the 2001 attack, BJP members led by Shahnawaz Hussain started raising slogans demanding immediate hanging of Guru.
BJP and Shiv Sena members trooped to the Well shouting slogans 'Afzal Guru ko phaansi do' (hang Afzal Guru).
"Why is the government not hanging Afzal Guru. Why is the government helpless in carrying out the death sentence," Hussain asked.
Amid the melee, BSP members also rushed to the Well raising the issue of coal block allocation.
As the uproar continued, an anguished Speaker remarked, "11 years ago, on this day, 13 people had sacrificed their lives. They did not sacrifice their lives for this. I will not adjourn the House."
The Speaker went ahead with the Question Hour despite the uproar and Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh answered supplementaries on the rural jobs scheme.
SP members were also seen in the Well demanding action against the agitating BSP members.
Amid the uproar, the Speaker first adjourned the House till 11:30 AM and then till noon. The House met briefly at noon and was adjourned till 2 PM after laying of papers.
Govt should announce date for hanging Afzal Guru: BJP
On the eleventh anniversary of Parliament attack, BJP today said the government should announce the date for hanging convict Afzal Guru today itself to pay "real tribute" to the martyrs of the strike.
"Real tribute would be only if the Home Minister assures the House today that we have paid tributes to the martyrs but their families and country will get relief only when he (Guru) would be hanged.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota