As top brass feel the heat, force goes into action
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
The Jalandhar Police has gone on overdrive in investigating and registering cases for crime against women after the Punjab government recently stated that district police heads will be held responsible for any inaction regarding crimes pertaining to women. On Wednesday, police registered two cases mere moments after lewd comments were passed on two women, the accused were arrested immediately.
In the first incident at Khurla Kingra village, youths allegedly made offensive remarks about a woman, who called 1091 - women helpline number - and complained about the harassment. The police swung into action and arrested three youths and registered a case against them under sections 294 (passing obscene comments) and 509 (words or gesture used to outrage the modesty of a woman). The accused were later released on bail.