As top brass feel the heat, force goes into action
- Election LIVE: BJP's third candidate list out, Ram Kripal to contest from Patliputra against Lalu's daughter
- Show us the money, Supreme Court says, refuses bail to Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi High Court upholds death to four convicts
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy
- Prospects dim, Congress finding it hard to get many of its MPs to run for Lok Sabha
The Jalandhar Police has gone on overdrive in investigating and registering cases for crime against women after the Punjab government recently stated that district police heads will be held responsible for any inaction regarding crimes pertaining to women. On Wednesday, police registered two cases mere moments after lewd comments were passed on two women, the accused were arrested immediately.
In the first incident at Khurla Kingra village, youths allegedly made offensive remarks about a woman, who called 1091 - women helpline number - and complained about the harassment. The police swung into action and arrested three youths and registered a case against them under sections 294 (passing obscene comments) and 509 (words or gesture used to outrage the modesty of a woman). The accused were later released on bail.
In the second case, three African students studying at a private university were booked under same charges when they were about to allegedly kidnap a young woman in Professor Colony near Ramamandi area. Police reach within moments of the incident and arrested the three accused.