Asaram often met women alone at night to 'heal' them, aide tells police
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Asaram Bapu regularly met women alone at night in his 'dhyan ki kutiya' (meditation hut) to "heal" them, Shiva, the personal attendant of the religious guru has told the police, Rajasthan additional advocate general Anand Purohit informed the sessions and district magistrate (rural) on Wednesday.
Details provided by Shiva, whom the police have been interrogating since Sunday, strengthen the case against Asaram, Purohit said. The guru has been accused of sexually assaulting the minor daughter of a disciple inside his Jodhpur ashram on the night of August 15.
The magistrate rejected Asaram's plea for bail and left him in judicial custody. The court gave the police custody of Shiva for another three days.
Investigators said they have substantial evidence to conclude that Asaram, Shiva and Shilpi, the hostel warden, "conspired" to get the 16-year-old victim to Jodhpur from Chhindwara where she studied. Call detail records show Shilpi had been in constant touch with both Asaram and the girl's family, and that the contact grew very frequent in the week before the girl was allegedly assaulted, they said.
Sources close to the investigation said they believe Shilpi and Asaram discussed the "condition" and "movement" of the girl, and that Shilpi "reassured" Asaram that he would get the opportunity to "heal" her.