Asaram's lawyers claim FIR against him vague and smacking of conspiracy
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Lawyers representing Asaram Bapu in the alleged sexual assault case involving a minor girl claimed the FIR registered against him is "vague" and smacks of "conspiracy".
"If you see the medical report of the girl, you will know that she was not at all assaulted. There is not even a scratch on her body. All allegations against Asaram Bapu are false and baseless," Asaram's counsel Ishkaran Bhandari told reporters outside the gate of his ashram on Khandwa Road at Indore.
The 16-year-old girl had registered an FIR against the self-styled godman for allegedly sexually abusing him at Jodhpur ashram.
Asaram, against whom summons were issued by Jodhpur police, failed to appear before them for questioning even though the deadline expired on Friday.
His son Narayan Sai on Saturday said Asaram was not evading arrest but recuperating at his ashram from illness.
Rahul Vijaywargia, another lawyer representing Asaram, alleged there was purposeful delay in registration of FIR against Asaram. "This shows there is a conspiracy behind filing of the FIR. Even though the investigation in the case is yet to begin, the FIR itself appears vague," he said.