Ashley Cole becomes 'highest paid defender' in world after signing £200,000 per week deal
- LIVE: Rahul Gandhi returns to Delhi from sabbatical
- The two critical by-poll results which were overlooked
- 80 crore youth, 160 crore strong hands. What can we not achieve?
- Corporate war between media house, operator confounding net neutrality debate: TRAI chief Rahul Khullar
- Military institute student to son of ex-judge, Islamic State taps Dhaka gen-next
Ashley Cole will become world's highest paid defender after agreeing to a 200,000 pound per week contract extension with the European champions Chelsea.
Chelsea is expected to announce the one-year contract extension ahead of Wednesday's Capital One Cup semi-final against Swansea, but the deal has been agreed, the Daily Mail reports.
Chelsea have agreed to a pay hike for the England defender because it would have cost them well in excess of 15 million pound to secure a replacement left back of similar quality in the summer, the paper added. Cole's representatives had held tentative talks with Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and Manchester United, but Chelsea eventually caved in to the left back's demands, the paper said.