Ashley Cole becomes 'highest paid defender' in world after signing £200,000 per week deal
- I expected to do very well but didn't expect to top it: UPSC topper
- Shiv Sena comes to BJP's rescue, says 'move to classify madrasas as non-schools not anti-religious'
- Across the Aisle: ‘Export or perish’. Have we chosen ‘perish’?
- Big Picture - ‘Why did they kill me, ammi?’
- Sunday Story: The Leader and his machine
Ashley Cole will become world's highest paid defender after agreeing to a 200,000 pound per week contract extension with the European champions Chelsea.
Chelsea is expected to announce the one-year contract extension ahead of Wednesday's Capital One Cup semi-final against Swansea, but the deal has been agreed, the Daily Mail reports.
Chelsea have agreed to a pay hike for the England defender because it would have cost them well in excess of 15 million pound to secure a replacement left back of similar quality in the summer, the paper added. Cole's representatives had held tentative talks with Real Madrid, Paris St Germain and Manchester United, but Chelsea eventually caved in to the left back's demands, the paper said.