ASI cremated after son returns from Australia
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
The body of ASI Ravinderpal Singh was on Friday cremated after his son Navpreet Singh returned from Australia.
The ASI's daughter Robanjit and Navpreet jointly lit the pyre in the outskirts of Rampura village.
The only prominent leaders from SAD who attended the cremation were Attari MLA Gulzar Singh Ranike and party leader Vir Singh Lopoke.
While a number of Congress leaders from the region were among those who attended the cremation, BJP was represented by Dr Navjot Kaur Sidhu, Laxmi Kanta Chawla and Mayor Bakshi Ram Arora.
Navpreet, who works in a factory in Australia, said he learnt about the death of his father through a media report.
His family had initially told him that his father was in a critical condition, following which, he left for India.
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism