ASI hangs self at police station
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- IPL 7: Yuvraj Singh roars back to form
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
An assistant sub-inspector committed suicide by hanging himself at the Bapunagar police station here on Sunday.
ASI Fareedkhan Usmankhan Pathan (53), a native of Dharisana village in Dehgam taluka of Gandhinagar district, hanged himself with a table cloth in one of the rooms of the police station, police said.
"After he arrived on duty today, he went to put on the uniform. After some time, we found that he hung himself there," police station officer Bapunagar Pratapsingh Jadeja said, adding that Pathan was upset after the death of his sister 15 days ago and this might have prompted him to end his life.
"Pathan's family members have alleged that mental harassment by his seniors and other staff is the cause of his suicide. Assistant Commissioner of Police P M Bhaliya has been asked to enquire into the matter," Jadeja said.
Pathan's body has been sent for autopsy.