Assam again: Labourers try to burn tea factory
- LIVE Netaji files: PM Modi declassifies 100 files on Subhash Chandra Bose
- Anti-national Rohith to Mother India son Rohith: Why the shift
- NIA arrests 13 Islamic State sympathisers in 'anti-terror' crackdown
- Rohith Vemula suicide: Police ready to move in, students set for face-off
- Live, Ind vs Aus, 5th ODI: Dhawan, Rohit get India off to flying start
Furious after a manager assaulted a guard, labourers at a tea garden in Assam's Nagaon district Monday gheraoed the estate management and attempted to burn the tea factory, but were thwarted by the police.
Amsoi tea estate assistant manager Pankajesh Garaip had allegedly beaten up Durgeswar Tanti at his bungalow Sunday night, sources in the police said. He has been taken into custody.
The incident comes a week after some disgruntled labourers hacked to death a tea estate owner in Tinsukia district, Mridul Bhattacharyya, and burnt his wife and their bungalow on December 26.
In the past, quite a few tea planters have been killed by their workers in Assam. Some years ago, Rupak Gogoi was burnt by the labourers at his tea garden in Golaghat.