Assam killings: BJP demands action to prevent violence
- Coal scam: Ex-PM Manmohan Singh summoned as accused in Hindalco case
- Supreme Court hands out life term to six convicts in Manjunath murder case
- AAP Delhi MLAs write letter seeking expulsion of Yadav, Bhushan: Reports
- Land to Mines to coal, Oppn stands stall in RS
- BJP line to restive RSS: our ministers may quit if PDP doesn’t behave
BJP today expressed concern over the killing of 20 people in Assam, especially in the Barak Valley area, and demanded that both the Centre and the state government take appropriate action to prevent such incidents.
"There has been violence in Assam in which the death toll has risen to 20. Yet there has hardly been any word from Congress on this matter. This is another issue which is being swept under the carpet," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman told reporters here.
BJP demanded that appropriate action be taken immediately by the Centre and the state government to control the situation.
The violence took place on Tuesday in Assam's Goalpara district which is the nerve centre of the Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee that is opposed to panchayat polls.