Assam killings: BJP demands action to prevent violence
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
BJP today expressed concern over the killing of 20 people in Assam, especially in the Barak Valley area, and demanded that both the Centre and the state government take appropriate action to prevent such incidents.
"There has been violence in Assam in which the death toll has risen to 20. Yet there has hardly been any word from Congress on this matter. This is another issue which is being swept under the carpet," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman told reporters here.
BJP demanded that appropriate action be taken immediately by the Centre and the state government to control the situation.
The violence took place on Tuesday in Assam's Goalpara district which is the nerve centre of the Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee that is opposed to panchayat polls.