Assam one of the best performing states: Jairam Ramesh
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: DD steady but slow
Lauding Assam for the lowest inequality rate in the country and high growth in literacy, Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh today said despite its human development parameters, the state gets into the national limelight "only for wrong reasons."
"Assam is achieving a lot in human development outcome... I compliment Assam on its significant outcomes (in human development).
"Unfortunately, Assam gets into headlines for wrong reasons. The media does not project Assam's achievement in human development," Ramesh said here.
He made the comments after making an impromptu appearance at a workshop organised by the state government to discuss preparation of the Assam State Human Development Report.
"Assam has the lowest inequality rate in the country. It is among the top 3-4 states in growth of literacy, where its performance is even better than that of Gujarat", Ramesh said.
In economic growth, Assam is among the top 4-5 states and is one of the success stories of NRHM, he said.
Terming the state's performance in human development during the past two decades as "very very good", Ramesh called upon the media to also focus on such news.
"There are currently two lakh women self-help groups in Assam. In next five years, the target is to increase the numbers to five lakh", he said.
"In terms of gender indices, Assam's performance is much better than states in North India or Gujarat," Ramesh said.
He added, "However, the national media only talks of Assam when there is violence."
Ramesh said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is called as "No Problem Gogoi" by leaders at the Centre as he has a habit of "always smiling and laughing".
PMGSY norms relaxed for Assam to boost rural road network
The Centre has decided to relax norms for Assam so that it can get benefits at par with tribal areas and hill states for constructing rural roads under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh said today.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18