Assam violence: 2 killed in police firing at counting centre
- Rahul Gandhi attacks Narendra Modi; highlights Congress work in Uttarakhand
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
Two persons were on Friday killed and 11 others seriously injured in firing by security men and clashes at a panchayat vote counting centre in Assam's Hatsingimari subdivision where indefinite curfew has been imposed.
"Indefinite curfew has been imposed in Hatsingimari subdivision and counting of votes stopped there," district deputy commissioner Kumud Kalita said.
The supporters of contestants attacked police and BSF men at a counting centre in Hatsingimari subdivision, under Mancachar Assembly constituency in Dhubri district, alleging that the process for counting was delayed, official sources said.
The angry supporters attacked the security personnel by pelting stones at them and the vote counting personnel leading to a chaotic situation, the sources said.
The irate protesters were lathi-charged but when the situation turned violent, security forces opened fire to quell the mob.
Two persons died on the spot and seven others were critically wounded, sources said and added four security men were also seriously wounded in the clash and admitted to hospital.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde