Assamís joha rice goes organic, heads for European market
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Maxwell, Miller lead KXIP to stunning win
The first consignment of joha rice, a naturally aromatic variety of rice traditionally grown in Assam, was despatched for the European market today.
The rice is being organically cultivated under a special project with the European market on mind. The authorities are hoping for bigger orders in the next few years. The first consignment containing 17.5 metric tons of joha, graded in both size and colour, is also the first batch of joha rice that received organic certification a couple of months ago. The consignment was flagged off by state Agriculture Minister Pramila Rani Brahma.
State agriculture department senior development officer B Kalita said, "At present, the department is supporting 154 joha farmers in over 91 hectares of land across three districts in northern Assam and the output has been quite encouraging," Kalita said.
"The production was better in 2005-6, with the farmers earning good sum by making an overall production of about 133 tons," Kalita said. And while the rice is being dispatched at Rs 28 per kg from Guwahati to a Haryana-based exporter, the farmer on ground will get at least Rs 1,000 per quintal of paddy, he added.
Agriculture Production Commissioner Bhaskar Mushahary said, "Since organically grown items are becoming increasingly popular, certain items from Assam like joha rice, oranges, pineapples and honey have tremendous scope in the international market."
Rajkamal Bajaj, whose unit in Guwahati is milling, processing and dispatching the rice for export, said, "With joha attracting attention from both domestic and international buyers, a well-planned export strategy could make a big impact on the state's economy."
- ‘We were in a bit of trouble initially but AB came in and he steadied the ship’
- Cops claim body was lifted from crime scene within 20 mins, family says it’s a lie
- After opening loss CSK face resurgent Daredevils
- Kirsten has given me new insight, says Coulter-Nile
- Nomination filed, the other Manpreet Badal goes missing
- M&M keep it sweet for punjab