Assembly bypoll: NCP wins Chandgad seat in Maharashtra
- Eden to Eden, IPL Eight wonder
- Jayalalithaa announces welfare schemes worth Rs 1800 crore
- Heat wave continues to torment India; death toll rises to 368
- Will work towards abrogating Article 370 when we have numbers in Parliament: BJP
- Mathematician John Nash, who inspired 'A Beautiful Mind', killed in car crash
NCP candidate Sandhyadevi Babasaheb Kupekar today won the Chandgad Assembly seat bye-election in Maharashtra's Kolhapur district by a margin of 24,847 votes. The bypoll was necessitated following the death of sitting NCP MLA Babasaheb Kupekar in September last year.
The voting for the bypoll had taken place on February 24, for which only three candidates had filed their nomination. Apart from Sandhyadevi, Rajendra Shamrav Gaddyanwar was the candidate of Swabhimani Shetkari Sangathana, while Sunil Arjun Shintre contested on a Shiv Sena ticket.
Sandhyadevi, wife of Babasaheb Kupekar, won the seat against her nearest rival Gaddyanwar. Sandhyadevi polled 93,486 votes, while Gaddyanwar got 68,639 votes.