Aston Villa stuns Liverpool with 3-1 win
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
Aston Villa brought Liverpool's recent resurgence in the Premier League to a crashing end by winning 3-1 at Anfield Saturday, lifting the visitors away from the relegation zone.
Belgium international Christian Benteke was Villa's star performer, scoring in each half and setting up fellow striker Andreas Weimann with an outrageous backheel for the other goal that made it 2-0 at halftime.
Steven Gerrard grabbed a late consolation for Liverpool but the result made a mockery of manager Brendan Rodgers' pre-match assertion that his team could challenge for a top-two spot this season.
Liverpool, which had been looking for a third straight win for the first time in two seasons, stayed in mid-table _ four points above Villa.