Astrologer of top politicians, babus shot
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
An astrologer, whose clients included top politicians and bureaucrats of UP, was shot dead by gunmen dressed like policemen at his residence in Oonchgaon village in Jaunpur district on Thursday morning.
Ramesh Tiwari, 36, died on the spot while his brother Rajesh was seriously injured.
Tiwari, based in Gomti Nagar area of Lucknow and had an ashram in Surat in Gujarat too, was visiting the village for Diwali celebrations with the family. Two police gunners attached with Tiwari had gone on leave for Diwali. Varanasi zone IG DIG G L Meena and range DIG A Satish Ganesh were camping in Jaunpur.
Rajesh Tiwari was referred to SGPGI in Lucknow, where his condition is critical. Animal Husbandry Minister Parasnath Yadav and DGP A C Sharma were present at SGPGI when Rajesh was brought from Jaunpur in the afternoon.
DIG Satish Ganesh said the motive behind the killing is yet to be known, but they were looking at an old dispute related to the panchayat elections. Tiwari's father Rajan Tiwari had been elected pradhan in the last panchayat elections. He said the incident took place around 10 am when Tiwari was sitting in front of his house along with his father and about 20 others. Two youths, dressed in police uniform and riding a motorcycle, arrived. They first greeted Tiwari and then showered bullets at him. His brother Rajesh tried to intervene, but he too suffered bullet injuries. The assailants then drove away.
Tiwari, who got eight bullet wounds, was taken to a hospital in Sultanpur on the way to Lucknow, where he was declared dead, the DIG said.
Tiwari owned a flat in Nehru Enclave in Gomti Nagar area of Lucknow and was getting another house constructed. He had reportedly also purchased a single-screen cinema hall in Qaiserbagh area of Lucknow recently, said sources.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress