At 6.9 degrees, mercury dips to third lowest in ten years
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
The temperature in the city has been in the range of 7-9 degree Celcius in the last three days. But on Monday, Pune recorded the lowest minimum temperature when the mercury touched 6.9 degree Celcius. This is the lowest recorded in the season and second lowest in the state. Ahmednagar recorded 6.1 degree celsius on Monday bringing in the cold wave conditions.
Pune's temperature was 4.5 degrees below the normal temperature and the third lowest recorded temperature in the last 10 years, according to the IMD.
In 2005, the city recorded 6.3 degree Celsius while in 2010 it was 6.5 degree Celsius followed by Monday's 6.9 degree Celsius. The all-time low for December was 3.3 degree Celsius recorded on December 27, 1968 .
"Monday's temperature recorded was the lowest for the season and this can be attributed to the cold northerlies. The cyclone Madi is presently moving in the north-easterly direction and it is expected to move in the south-westerly direction in the coming two to three days and this will again take up the minimum temperature,''said Medha Khole, DDG, IMD.
In November, temperature was around 10-11 degree Celsius. The lowest was 9.9 degree Celsius on November 17. This month the temperature dipped further to touch 7.8 degree Celsius on
Minimum temperature also dropped in parts of Marathwada, Vidarbha and central Maharashtra, which stretches from Jalgaon/Nashik in the north to Kolhapur in the south with Pune in the centre. Ahmednagar was the coldest place in the state while Nashik and Jalgaon too recorded low temperature.
Earlier in the week, night temperature across the state had remained above 15 degrees Celsius due to the moisture incursion and humidity caused by the aftereffects of cyclonic storm 'Lehar', which formed on November 19 and dissipated on November 28.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul