At bhog ceremony, daughter gets papers for Naib Tehsildar
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Leaders of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), Congress and Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) arrived in Rampura village, on Friday, to attend the bhog ceremony of Ravinderpal Singh. Cabinet Minister Bikram Singh Majithia also handed over the appointment letter for the post of Naib Tehsildar to the slain ASI's daughter Robinjit Kaur.
SAD-BJP had first announced a sub-inspector post for Robinjit, an MSc in Information technology, but after a family request, she was given the post of Naib Tehsildar.
Slain ASI's relative and SAD leader Vir Singh Lopoke set the apolitical tone of the ceremony in his address after the bhog, appreciating Congress, BJP, SAD, leftists and Sant Samaj who he said rose above party lines to express solidarity and share grief with Ravinderpal's family.
The SAD leader also urged Punjab to consider ASI's son Navpreet Singh for a government job at some "appropriate time".
Majithia said all political parties should rise above party lines and ensure that "bad elements in their parties who were blots on society be kicked out from the parties to cleanse the political parties". He added he was attending the bhog to pay tribute to the slain ASI as well as on behalf of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his deputy Sukhbir Badal.