At Express Adda, Fareed Zakaria says India should not play tit-for-tat game with Pak
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
Express Adda hosted noted international affairs columnist and Editor-at-Large, Time magazine, Fareed Zakaria in Delhi last night.
Zakaria spoke on a variety of issues that are making the world think today. Here are a few of his observations:
*Zakaria says India should not play a tit-for-tat game with Pakistan. It should let it have Afghanistan.
*Indian defence manufacturing base is in a bad state.
*Unlike China, India has not forgotten its culture in the race for modernising.
*Indian politicians are out of touch. Try to portray India as victim, not the victor.
*Chinese will use their role as leading global creditors to change the world order.
*I am a great fan of The Indian Express.
*Pressure on Iran has become very real and very serious.
*US is still the largest importer of talent in the world. Only now, as we know, the visa norms have gotten much worse and very complicated. So, China now retains or brings back their own talent a lot better -- so a Chinese student will still get a job at Microsoft, except it'll be in their Beijing office... And Canada has very successfully tapped this huge potential. And it's strange that US taxpayer money trains the talent that goes to Canada to apply all that training and education.
*It is a strange situation where pressure has worked on Iran but there is no exit option.
*I have been told by senior Mossad officials for the past 12 years that Iran will have nuke weapons in 1 year!
*Global conflict that worries him most is the Iran-Israel situation.
*Obama is not soft on foreign policy.
*Iran is not as powerful as it is made out to be. Iran's total GDP is $ 200 billion vs Pentagon's budget of $700 bn.
*US economy to ebb somehow as Asia grows.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first