At Kumbh, sadhus speak up for women
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR face stiff CSK challenge in Dubai
"Beti nahin to srishti nahin (without daughters, there would be no universe)"; "Phool nahin to phal kahan se paaoge, naari nahin to jeevan kahan se paaoge (If there are no flowers, how will you get the fruits; if there is no women, how will you get life)"; "Maa chahiye, behen chahiye, patni chahiye to beti kyon nahin (If you want mother, sister and wife, then why don't you want daughter)" — are some such slogans dotting different streets of the mela.
Brahmswaroop Brahmchari of Shri Jai Ram Trust, Haridwar, says: "The Delhi gangrape was a horrible incident. The Sant samaj (saints' society) is aware of the situation. Soon you would hear a strong message going against issues like female foeticide." Beginning February, many conferences on the issue would be held, he informs.
Some other ashrams, like the Parmarth Niketan, will be holding pooja of 40 girls from the Nishad community on Thursday. Dati Maharaj of Shani Dham, too, would be holding a huge programme, tomorrow in which girls who have benefited from many of his schemes would be present.
Talking about his "beti bachao, beti padhao abhiyaan (save daughter, teacher mission)", which he has brought to the Kumbh for the first time, Dati Maharaj says: "It is about having a balance in numbers first and treating them as equals. Agar bachpan se ladki pant pehne to kya dikkat hai.? Lekin hum use pehle hee ghar ke andar rehne ko kehte hain., aur ladke belagaam ghoomte hain (What is the problem if girls wear pants right since beginning? But we only force them to stay inside, while boys roam about unbridled). This is the reason why women are not safe."
However, the saints also feel that, in Sanatan Dharma, there is not much possibility for seeing women as individuals.
Brahmchariji, whose poster depicts several famous Indian women, says: "Women from India have made names for themselves in the entire world. But in our Sanatan Dharma, the family comes first."
Dati Maharaj says: "There should be no challenge to the fundamental rights of any human being. But in our Sanatan Dharma, there is little space for individualism."
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'