At last, NDMC inaugurates redeveloped CP
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Polling stops in Pune booth due to faulty EVMs
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
The redevelopment of Connaught Place — the New Delhi Municipal Council's most ambitious project — seems to have become a low-key affair as the council reportedly did not ask invitees to attend the inauguration. Those invited included Council members and other dignitaries.
However, Urban Development Minister Manish Sisodia inaugurated the project and singer Kailash Kher performed during the function held in Central Park, Connaught Place. Officials said Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal was to inaugurate the project, but could not attend due to illness.
Sisodia congratulated officials involved in the redevelopment of Connaught Place. "The project has been completed after delays, but I am happy with the outcome," he said.
While officials maintained that the ceremony was for the CP redevelopment project, the invites mention only the NDMC's centenary celebration and the Connaught Place festival, which began on December 23.
Officials also said the omission was deliberate, citing some incomplete tasks in the redevelopment project.
The Council meeting that was scheduled for December 31 has been postponed as the CM is unwell. "In the first meeting, the new members both from AAP, including the CM, will take oath of membership. The council meeting will be an important one as the new CM will define how the policies will work in NDMC," the official said.
In 1913, Imperial Delhi Committee was constituted that gave way to Raisina Municipal Committee in 1916. In 1932, New Delhi Municipal Committee was formed and in 1994, the present day Council was formed.
The Council had delegated the task of re-launch of CP redevelopment project to New Delhi Traders' Association, which sent invites to Sisodia.
NDMC plans a wi-fi enabled Central Delhi
Everyone in Central Delhi area — administered by NDMC — will soon be able to avail of a hi-speed, stable internet connection with the municipal body promising to bring the 42.7 square kilometres area under a single wi-fi connection.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18