At last, toilets in train engines to help drivers relieve stress
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
That its train engine drivers, or loco-pilots as it calls them now, work under extremely stressful conditions has been Indian Railways' worst kept secret.
In fact, the stress levels of loco-pilots have often been blamed for many rail accidents in recent years. And now, a panel looking into the matter has zeroed in on a very basic facility, the lack of which has added substantially to stress levels of these men: toilets inside locomotives.
The committee "to review the duty hours of running and other safety related categories of staff" has recommended "a suitable waterless type urinal" on "every locomotive as an immediate measure" to take care of the problem.
"Difficulties are being experienced by the loco running staff at present due to non-availability of toilets in the locomotives. The problem is much more on super fast trains which run for 4 to 5 hours continuously at a stretch without any stoppage," the committee, headed by former food processing secretary D P Tripathi, has said.
The report, which was submitted to the railways ministry, has stressed the need for toilets in locos saying this "problem is likely to get further aggravated in future with more and more induction of ladies in loco running cadre".
Even on faster long-distance trains such as the Rajdhanis and Shatabdis, loco-pilots have had to contend with travelling long distances without a toilet break until now. The only time they could use a toilet has been during halts at intermediary stations, having had little option but to "hold on".
In point-to-point non-stop Duronto trains, the only "window" the loco-pilots have for a toilet break is during the train's technical halts.
Privately, officials admit that there have been instances when
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun
- Movie review: â€˜Jai hoâ€™ | The Indian Express