At UP Technical University convocation, students to get medals made of pure gold, silver
- Salman Khan retracts tweets on Yakub Memon after protests; says 'never said he is innocent'
- Muslim League says SC has no right to interfere in matters of faith
- President urged to grant Yakub Memon reprieve from execution
- PM to launch cashless treatment scheme for accident victims
- Anna extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU) will award medals made of pure gold and silver to meritorious students during the eleventh convocation ceremony on January 11.
"Yes, we will be giving pure gold and silver medals to winners," UPTU vice-chancellor Prof R K Khandal said. Fifteen gold and silver medals each will be awarded in various courses. He said each gold medal will be 10 grams pure 99.95 per cent (24 carat) gold, while silver medals will be 20 grams.
"The gold and silver medals awarded at other universities are not usually made of precious metals," said LU registrar PCS Captain Amitabh Prakash. At UPTU, officials say this practice has been on for some time now.
Sam Pitroda, the chairman of the National Innovation Council and Adviser to the Prime Minister, will be the chief guest and will also deliver the convocation address. B L Joshi, UP Governor and chancellor of the university, will also be present.