ATC alert: Near miss averted
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
A near miss situation was averted at the IGI airport last evening when the pilot of a small plane entered the runway after but an alert ATC directed an incoming aircraft to go around and another to abort take-off.
But Director General of Civil Aviation Arun Mishra said, "It is not a serious incident", while a Civil Aviation Ministry official said the mistake was "immediately noticed and the situation was brought under control".
The incident occured at 1903 hours when the pilot of a private plane, having call sign VT-LTA, entered Runway 28 by misreading an ATC instruction, sent to another plane with VT-CLA call-sign to cross the runway, as its own, ATC sources said.
When VT-CLA, a Cessna-560 of A R Airways, was asked to vacate runway on landing, the pilot of VT-LTA (a Hawker-Beechcraft 900XP of L&T Aviation Services), which was crossing over to Terminal 1-D from Terminal-3, misread the instruction and got into the runway, the sources said.
This happened when a Jet Airways Boeing 737 was readying for take-off and another plane of the same airline was coming in to land, they said. While the departing aircraft was to fly to Doha, the descending B-737 was coming from Chennai.
An alert ATC immediately asked the B-737 pilot to abort take-off and the commander of the descending aircraft to make a go-around as the runway was occupied, the sources said.
"This was a clear case of runway incursion. Such incidents are common and routinely handled by the ATC," they said, adding that the aviation regulator has begun a probe.
An Airports Authority of India spokesperson said, "ATC handled the situation as per laid down procedures without any incident."
He said VT-LTA, "Prior to crossing the Runway for proceeding to Terminal T3 from Terminal 1D, probably mistook the clearance meant for the other aircraft and entered the runway inadvertently."
- Rs 1.28 lakh looted at gunpoint
- Venkaiah Naidu sure of BJP crossing ‘magic figure’ in south India
- AAP candidates truly ‘aam aadmi’: Prithvi Reddy
- Bangalore fund-raiser: Dine with Arvind Kejriwal for Rs 20,000
- AAP sounds Gul Panag about Lok Sabha poll, father says decision soon
- The real high and low: Drunk cop creates ruckus in court, held