Athlete Pinky Pramanik arrested on 'rape' charges
- Pakistan Rangers delegation arrives in India, DG-level talks on border today
- BJP vs Sena in Mumbai; Uddhav says will ensure there is no ban on meat
- Five-phase Bihar polls from Oct 12, counting on Nov 8
- What are Gold Bond and Gold Monetisation schemes?
- Govt drops plans for special Parliament session on GST bill
Asian Games gold medalist runner Pinky Pramanik was arrested after it was alleged she is a male and tried to rape a woman.
The victim, who didn't want to be named, lodged a complaint at the Baguihati police station in North 24-Parganas and the police in turn arrested the athlete late last night.
Pinki Pramanik specialised in the 400 metres and 800 metres, has had much success with the national 4×400 metres relay team, winning silver at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, gold at the 2006 Asian Games, and gold at the 2005 Asian Indoor Games.
Pinki also achieved the special feat of triple of gold medals at the 2006 South Asian Games, winning the 400 and 800 m events, as well as the relay.