Athlete Pinky Pramanik arrested on 'rape' charges
- L-G Najeeb Jung's 'I am the govt' remark laughable, acting at PM's behest: Arvind Kejriwal
- Robert Vadra's Facebook post triggers BJP, Congress clash; House adjourned
- Scolded by Sonia, Shashi Tharoor gets praise from PM Modi
- RK Pachauri asked to step down, Ajay Mathur is new TERI chief
- PM's credibility declining, no discussion until Sushma steps down: Rahul
Asian Games gold medalist runner Pinky Pramanik was arrested after it was alleged she is a male and tried to rape a woman.
The victim, who didn't want to be named, lodged a complaint at the Baguihati police station in North 24-Parganas and the police in turn arrested the athlete late last night.
Pinki Pramanik specialised in the 400 metres and 800 metres, has had much success with the national 4×400 metres relay team, winning silver at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, gold at the 2006 Asian Games, and gold at the 2005 Asian Indoor Games.
Pinki also achieved the special feat of triple of gold medals at the 2006 South Asian Games, winning the 400 and 800 m events, as well as the relay.
Pinki retired from athletics after she suffered a road accident three years ago.