Athlete Pinky Pramanik arrested on 'rape' charges
- Aam Aadmi Party battles Modi in Delhi, Congress missing
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- Riot victims fight fear to vote, get glimpse of home
- Narendra Modi mentioned wife in poll affidavit after SC order on full disclosure
Asian Games gold medalist runner Pinky Pramanik was arrested after it was alleged she is a male and tried to rape a woman.
The victim, who didn't want to be named, lodged a complaint at the Baguihati police station in North 24-Parganas and the police in turn arrested the athlete late last night.
Pinki Pramanik specialised in the 400 metres and 800 metres, has had much success with the national 4×400 metres relay team, winning silver at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, gold at the 2006 Asian Games, and gold at the 2005 Asian Indoor Games.
Pinki also achieved the special feat of triple of gold medals at the 2006 South Asian Games, winning the 400 and 800 m events, as well as the relay.
Pinki retired from athletics after she suffered a road accident three years ago.