Athlete Pinky Pramanik arrested on 'rape' charges
- Lakhvi's release: PM Modi conveys India's concerns to China
- Modi must do to Raje, Swaraj what we did to Tomar: Arvind Kejriwal
- AIPMT test to be re-conducted on July 25: CBSE
- Palamu Express derails following blast by suspected Maoists in Jharkhand
- All Income Tax refunds to be put directly in bank accounts: CBDT
Asian Games gold medalist runner Pinky Pramanik was arrested after it was alleged she is a male and tried to rape a woman.
The victim, who didn't want to be named, lodged a complaint at the Baguihati police station in North 24-Parganas and the police in turn arrested the athlete late last night.
Pinki Pramanik specialised in the 400 metres and 800 metres, has had much success with the national 4×400 metres relay team, winning silver at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, gold at the 2006 Asian Games, and gold at the 2005 Asian Indoor Games.
Pinki also achieved the special feat of triple of gold medals at the 2006 South Asian Games, winning the 400 and 800 m events, as well as the relay.
Pinki retired from athletics after she suffered a road accident three years ago.