Attariwala is president of Punjab and Haryana Bar Association
- LIVE: Police raids in several states to nab 'anti-national' elements
- BJP to be aggressive on JNU row, fire up nationalism debate
- Delhi Police say trying to identify men who led attacks, here are some of them
- Day after Patiala House court assault: BJP MLA OP Sharma defiant, police drag their feet
- Arunachal crisis: Govt set to lift President’s Rule, Congress goes to Pranab
It was a day of elections for the selection of executive body at the Bar Associations of Punjab and Haryana High Court and lower courts of Chandigarh and Panchkula.
Advocate Gurinder Singh Attariwala remained victorious for the presidential post of Punjab and Haryana High Court Bar Association. He won with a margin of 495 votes defeating his competitor Advocate Sarwan Singh.
For the Panchkula Bar Association, Advocate Jagpal Singh, who was fielded against Advocate Balbir Singh was elected as president of the Panchkula Bar Association for the first time. He won by a margin of 138 votes. Both Attariwala and Jagpal Singh have become the presidents of the High Court and Panchkula Bar Associations for the first time.
On the other hand, Advocate Amar Singh Chahal defeated Advocate N K Nanda for the post of president of Chandigarh District Bar Association. Chahal defeated Nanda with a small margin of 16 votes. Total votes cast were 1195.
This is for the fourth time Chahal has become the president of DBA. It was a stiff competition between the two candidates which finally turned in Chahal's favours. During the counting, Chahal invariably enjoyed a lead of some votes, making the two candidates nervous till the final results were announced.
It is for the first time that the Bar elections for the executive bodies were held on the same day. Yesteryears' elections for various Bar elections used to be held on separate days. Elections in all the Bar Associations went off peacefully. The voting began at 10 am and ended at 4 pm in the Bar Associations of Punjab and Haryana High Court and Chandigarh District Courts. While the results of victorious candidates of Panchkula Bar Association was declared at around 6 pm, the results of High Court and Chandigarh lower court were announced at around 9 pm and 10 pm respectively. The candidates remained busy since morning wooing their voters. Pamphlets, posters of candidates were pasted on the vehicles, walls and booths. While the candidates and their supporters remained busy in requesting advocates for casting votes throughout the day, the judicial work was not affected at all. Candidates and their supporters even distributed kulfis among voters.
- Discrimination against Dalits is rising despite stronger laws
- As a police officer, and citizen, I find JNU debate an assault on public interest
- Speech made by JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar
- Telescope: From JNU to Patiala House
- Reports of its death are greatly exaggerated
- Being ‘anti-Indian’ is not a criminal offence and it is definitely not ‘sedition’